historian n : a person who is an authority on history and who studies it and writes about it [syn: historiographer]
Writer of history
Versed in history
- Finnish: historioitsija
- Hungarian: történész
- Italian: storico
A historian is an individual who studies and writes about history. Historians are concerned with the continuous, systematic narrative and research of past events as relating to the human race; as well as the study of all events in time. If the individual is concerned with events preceding written history, the individual is a historian of prehistory. Although "historian" can be used to describe amateur and professional historians alike, it is reserved more recently for those who have acquired graduate degrees in the discipline. Some historians, though, are recognized by equivalent training and experience in the field. In addition, it is common, although not required, for many historians to have a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree in their chosen areas of study. During the preparation of their thesis for this degree, many develop into their first book, since regular publishing activities are essential for advancement in academia. There is currently a great deal of controversy among academic historians regarding the possibility and desirability of the neutrality in historical scholarship. The job market for graduate historians is relatively limited. Historians typically work in libraries, universities, archival centers, government agencies (particularly heritage) and as freelance consultants. Many with an undergraduate history degree also may become involved with administrative or clerical professions and an undergraduate history degree is often used as a "stepping stone" to further studies such as a law degree.
- Richard B. Todd, ed. (2004). Dictionary of British Classicists, 1500–1960, Bristol: Thoemmes Continuum, 2004 ISBN 1-85506-997-0.
- Kelly Boyd, ed. (1999). Encyclopedia of Historians and Historical Writing. London [etc.] : Fitzroy Dearborn ISBN 1-884964-33-8
- Lateiner, D. (1989). The historical method of Herodotus. Phoenix, 23. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
- John Cannon et al., eds. (1988). The Blackwell Dictionary of Historians. Oxford: Blackwell Publishers, 1988 ISBN 0-631-14708-X.
- Hartog, F. (1988). The mirror of Herodotus: the representation of the other in the writing of history. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Erik Christiansen (1970). The Last Hundred Years of the Roman Republic, Odense: Andelsbogtrykkeriet
- Gottschalk, L. R. (1950). Understanding history; a primer of historical method. New York: Knopf
- Barnes, M. S. (1896). Studies in historical method. Heath's pedagogical library. Boston: D.C. Heath & Co.
- Taylor, I. (1889). ''History of the transmission of ancient books to modern times, together with the process of historical proof: or, a concise account of the means by which the genuineness of ancient literature generally, and authenticity of historical works especially, are ascertained, including incidental remarks upon the relative strength of the evidence usually adduced in behalf of the Holy Scriptures. Liverpool: E. Howell.
- Herodotus, Rawlinson, G., Rawlinson, H. C., & Wilkinson, J. G. (1862). History of Herodotus. A new English version. London: John Murray.
- Véricour, L. R. d. (1850). Historical analysis of Christian civilisation. London: J. Chapman.
- Taylor, I. (1828). The process of historical proof''. London: Printed for B. J. Holdsworth.
- Elizabeth Kostova "The Historian"
historian in Chuvash: Историк
historian in Czech: Historik
historian in Tumbuka: Tödücü
historian in Esperanto: Historiisto
historian in Persian: مورخ
historian in French: Historien
historian in Hebrew: היסטוריון
historian in Latin: Rerum gestarum scriptor
historian in Dutch: Historicus
historian in Japanese: 歴史家
historian in Norwegian: Historiker
historian in Norwegian Nynorsk: Historikar
historian in Russian: Историк
historian in Simple English: Historian
historian in Slovak: Historik
historian in Slovenian: Zgodovinar
historian in Swedish: Historiker
historian in Turkish: Tarihçi
historian in Chinese: 历史学家